What is 1/2 hot – 1/2 cold tomato soup? The answer is straightforward; it is just plain tomato soup, where it differentiates though it is in preparation and the resulting tasting experience. Imagine having a soup where it tastes hot and cold simultaneously. These conflicting temperatures will cause sensory confusion and curiosity, and it might take you a few seconds of indecision to process these unexpected flavor experiences. The aroma is also different from both sides of the dish, as the hot part will be more flavorful than the cold side, and the reason for that is the heat releases faster the aroma molecules trapped in the soup.
For someone to get the proper taste of this dish is very important how it is served. The middle of the hot and cold part has to point straight towards the patron. In that way, they will be able to taste both sides/temperatures simultaneously.
I used regular store-bought soup for this recipe, but I definitely recommend homemade one.
- 1 small can of soup
- 1 cup of basil-infused water
- 0.4% or 2.1 gr Agar
- Basil water is made by boiling water and adding 1/2 to 1 cup basil leaves to infuse it.
- I kept the leaves in the water for 30 min before I strained them.
- Mix the infused water and the Agar in a pot to dissolve it. Add the tomato soup and bring it to a boil - a high temperature is necessary for the gelling process.
- It is similar to my other post using Agar for gelling.
- Once the boiling is done, put on aside to cool down and jellify.
- Put it in the fridge to bring it to a lower temperature.
- Once you are ready to serve, use a blender to liquefy the soup.
- Take half of the soup and warm it or use a microwave; in my microwave, it took 120 sec. to reach the desired temperature.
- Use a separator - spoon - utensil, anything that will not allow the parts of the soup to mix, pour into a small soup cup or in any other heatproof vessel.
- Remove the separator.
I served it accompanied by Parmesan ice cream.
You can add more flavor to the soup by using any of your favored spices.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 68Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 876mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.